Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 2 cups water
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- Sea salt
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 tbsp. extra virgin organic olive oil or avocado oil
- 1-2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp. curry powder*
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (leftover rice is fine to use)
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds, soaked for 7 hours
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
~ Directions ~
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Rinse and drain the lentils. Place them in a small saucepan with the 2 cups of water and bring to a boil, stir often. Add the turmeric ½ tsp of salt, and reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer until water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium skillet over low-medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the vegetables and continue to cook for about 6-7 minutes. Add the ginger, curry, cinnamon, and salt and cook for another minute. Continue stirring. Remove from the heat and add the rice, seeds, lemon juice, cilantro, and lentils. Mix well.
- When the burger mixture has cooled a little, shape 6 patties using a heaping ½ cup for each. Place each patty onto a baking-safe parchment paper lined baking sheet. Slightly flattened each burger with the palm of your hand. Place into preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve on leaves of big leaf lettuce. Serve hot, enjoy!
*For directions for homemade curry powder, click here.