You can use any nut butter that you prefer. I used homemade peanut butter made from organic peanuts. There is also no gluten, dairy, or white sugar!
This is a relatively easy recipe to follow, if you have all the ingredients! You can even get your friends and family involved, i.e. a cooking party!
Homemade Peanut Butter
Yields ¾ cups
- 1 cup organic peanuts
- 3 Tbsp. sunflower seed oil
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- In a food processor, grind the peanuts into a course powder.
- Add the oil of choice, honey, and salt. (if using coconut oil, set aside to cool for 10 minutes after melting)
- Blend until it becomes a smooth consistency. Add more oil if needed.
- Remove to a glass container. It will keep for 4 days. It is just enough for 12 nut butter cups. You can also just use it as a spread!
Nut Butter Cups
Total Time: ~ 1.5 hours
Ingredients for the Chocolate –
- I use 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips or you can opt-in 2 bars of 70% dark chocolate
- I prefer to use Fair-Trade, organic chocolate (not already sweetened)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1-2 tbsp. honey or maple syrup (the real stuff is also the best bet!)
Ingredients for the Filling –
- ~3/4 cup peanut butter or preferred choice of nut butter
- 3 Tbsp. coconut flour
- 1 tsp.vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- In a double boiler* combine the coconut oil and chocolate, and add the sweetener of choice. Stir continuously until it is a dark creamy texture.
- Set it aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, line a muffin tray with muffin liners. Pour a spoonful of chocolate sauce into each muffin liner. Place the tray in the freezer or fridge for 5-10 minutes, until the chocolate has hardened.
- While the chocolate is chilling, prepare the peanut butter mixture. In a small bowl, combine about a ¾ cup of peanut butter, coconut flour, and vanilla extract until it has a thick creamy firmness. Divide into 12 small pieces, and roll each into a small ball.
- Place each PB ball on top of the hardened chocolate, and flattened so it covers the chocolate. Pour the remaining melted chocolate over the PB and place back in the freezer,until completely hardened. You can make these a day ahead for your holiday party! Enjoy!
- Optional – Before placing back into the freezer for the second time, sprinkle a pinch of course sea salt over top of the chocolate.
*Put a small glass bowl into a medium saucepan allowing there to be space for steam to escape.